Monday, May 3, 2010

Humidity!

Hey everyone! How are you all? First of all, thank you SO MUCH to everybody who wrote me for my birthday!!!!!! It made me feel like the most special missionary in the world. I was kind of sick this week with this, that, and the other (headache, cough, and passing out :) but the Lord blessed us greatly in the work and things are progressing well. Needless to say, I really appreciated all the extra love and support I got from you all. So thank you.
Also, Happy Birthday Megan! (yeah, I know this is the week late...sorry). I hope your day was fabulous and that you felt loved, because you are the best. Love you!
Entonces, this week was kind of crazy. It's really starting to get humid and hot here, and until last night, our ac in the apartment didn't work, which was exciting. We picked up this amazing new investigator on Monday night, Alexis. About a week and a half ago, we were wandering around this huge apartment complex listening for Spanish as we walked down the hall, to help us decide which doors to knock. We heard a ton of people speaking Spanish inside one room, so we knocked. The door opened and inside we saw piles of beer bottles and cigarette smoke filling the air. One guy came out to talk to us (Alexis), we introduced ourselves and were about to just give him a pass-along card and leave but in the course of the contact, both Hna Erickson and I felt the spirit really strongly telling us that he needed the gospel. We set up an appointment and went over on Monday night. The spirit at that first lesson was so strong! I can't even explain it. We went back on Friday and again had the same experience. He opened up to us that he has a lot of things in his life that he wants to change, that he wants to do better. He didn't really have purpose in his life or feel like he had any hope to be better. We talked to him about the faith and repentance and compared his story to Alma the Younger in the Book of Mormon. It was just really powerful. Anyway, we ran into him last night on the street and he had been having problems with some people he lives with and he is taking off this week to go back to Puerto Rico. His whole family is there and he doesn't have a job here or anything, it's just better down there. But it broke our hearts that he is going because he was so cool but I know that we found him when we did for a reason and hopefully we will be able to get him in touch with the missionaries down there as well.
Well, I don't really know what else to tell you for now...I don't really want to blow everything before I call home this Sunday. My companion and a member of the branch, Angela, really went through a lot of effort on Friday to make my birthday a special day. I'll tell you all about Angela when I call. She's basically my mom on the mission.
I hope everything is going well for you all. Take care and know that I love you. Thank you for your love and support in helping me focus on the work of the Lord. I know this is the most important thing I can be doing with my life right now. This next several months is going to fly by...I better hang on to it tight! :) The church is true. I miss you tons but I love you more!
Love,
Hermana Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment