Monday, July 5, 2010

Hna Binning, what happened this week?

Hey family!
Oh my gosh, we worked our little tails off this week! We are bound and determined to see some results in this area and are not resting till we get it. But unfortunately, with all that, I have no idea what to tell you about this week. The investigators we have are just taking their time progressing so we are really focusing on finding LOTS of new investigators. I know Heavenly Father has people here who are really prepared, we just need to find them!
So, on Sunday nights after planning, my comp and I usually go through our week and talk about the good/funny/random experiences to tell about in our emails. Last night, our conversation went a little something like this:
Me: "Hermana Binning, what happened this week?"
Her: "Ummm...we reached our goals...but they don't really care about that..."
Me: "We found some crazy Dominican men working on cars...but that's really all there is to tell about them."
Her: "Yeah. I don't know. But it was a really good week! Why can't we think of anything to write about?"
Me: "Oh, I cut my bangs."
Her: "Yeah, you could write about that!"
Me: "Ok, good idea. Good night."
I don't know if I've just gotten more serious on my mission or if the funny things have just gotten so normal that I don't feel like they're worth telling or what, but just trust me when I say that we did have an amazing week. We didn't get to do anything fun for the 4th of July because it was on a Sunday. Hermana Binning and I were remembering last July 4th in the MTC watching the fireworks from the Stadium of Fire and we looked through our camera at pictures of us then. But hey, we did get to go over to a member's apartment for an appearance at his little gathering for the branch and share a spiritual thought about the promised land. This member lives on the top floor (13th floor) of a retirement home with a perfect view of the NY skyline and the fireworks. Anyway, I think I gained a new appreciation for the 4th of July yesterday. Most people that know me know that I'm not very patriotic at all. But last night all the members of the branch were so excited to sing "America the Beautiful" in gratitude for the life and opportunities that have opened up to them since coming here. We had people that have been here for everything from 2 to 33 years and they were all just grateful for being here. They still love their countries, surely, but they recognize the blessings they now have and that their children have been given. I realized how grateful I am to have been born and raised here. I think I finally came to grips that being grateful for my country and the blessings I have is not a sin and it doesn't mean I think I'm better than anyone else who lives in another country, it just means I love who I am, and I'm ok with that.
Anyway, that's about it for today. I think I will write a hand-written letter if time allows today, and include a picture if I can. Our p-days have officially been cut mission-wide by an hour permanently to utilize prime finding time. I hope things are going well. If you have any specific questions ask me and then it will give me something cooler to say. :) I miss you tons but I love you more!
Love,
Hermana Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment