Monday, July 19, 2010

Sacrifice brings forth the blessings of heaven

First things first, Happy 1st Birthday, Claire! Wish I could be there for it...haven't even met her yet but hey, she looks cute in the pictures. :) Be sure to send me some pictures of the occasion.
My address until at least August 2 is: 99 N 12th St #1, Prospect Park, NJ, 07508. The office address is still ok, I will just only get mail from there once a month...so that's only about 4 more times for the rest of my mission, so I would prefer at the house now. Thanks!
Our emotions depend so much on these people we teach...it's quite entertaining. We have 2 baptismal dates coming up! Eric (the 9-yr-old) is so excited to get baptized on Aug 1!! We gave him a children's Book of Mormon and he read all the was to Alma 48 in 2 days. He says it's his new favorite book. He just gets it so much! His mom, Lucina, is still a little unsure of when she wants to/can get baptized. We are trying to encourage her to get baptized with her son but we'll see what happens. She is doing really well though. They both came to church again yesterday and loved it. And for our other baptismal date...Minerva has decided to get baptized! Her son, Cristian, just moved here in May from the DR and he is a really active, strong member of the church. We've been teaching Minerva but things have been going kind of slow with her but the more we see her, the more things just click with her. We did a fast with her last Monday (her idea) to help her receive an answer about if she should get baptized. Cristian called us on Thursday and said, "I think my mom is going to get baptized!" We tried going to see her but she wasn't there so when we saw her last night, we talked to her about it. We challenged her for Aug 1 and at first she hesitated a lot and then Cristian said, "Come on, mom, just put a date on it and if the date comes and you're not comfortable, we can put it off." She said yes! And then Cristian added, "Hey, you should get baptized on my birthday (typical Hispanic thing to do...they always want things to happen on their birthdays or holidays) and I can baptize you!" We asked when his birthday is and he told us July 31, and she agreed! It will be an awesome birthday present for him.
So yep, it has been a good week....really hot, as always. Up to Saturday morning, we had 0 new investigators, which was pretty depressing, but we ended up pulling it through on Saturday and Sunday hardcore.
Oh, yeah, and Eric's abuela, Matilde, taught us how to make Mexican flan the other day! It was so good! Sorry Mom, but flan from a box is just not going to cut it anymore :) This stuff tastes like the stuff you get in the restaurants. Haha. I am trying to learn how to cook some Hispanic things before I get home but it is really hard to find the time to learn anything other than desert stuff, because that's the quickest. But so far I can make flan, bonuelos, tostones/platanos, rice, and this way good Dominican drink called "morir sonando" (to die dreaming).
I think that's about it for this week. Just keep praying, do your best, and things will work out, no matter what's going on. I love this work and I know that the Lord is answering your prayers for me. Thanks for all your support. I miss you tons but I love you more!
Love,
Hermana Jackson

No comments:

Post a Comment